Chips Computer Service
Guidelines for Virus Prevention
· Always run dependable anti-virus software that supports automatic updates and check periodically to ensure it is up-to-date.
· NEVER open any files attached to an email from an unknown, suspicious or untrustworthy source. Delete these emails immediately, then "double delete" them by emptying your Deleted Items.
· Delete spam, chain, and other junk email immediately, preferably BEFORE reading it.
· Never download files from unknown or suspicious sources. Be careful of downloading "Free" software.
· Avoid direct disk sharing with read/write access unless there is absolutely a business requirement to do so.
· Always scan a floppy diskette, DVD/CD/RW, or Flash Drive for viruses before using it.
· Back-up critical data and system configurations on a regular basis and store the data in a safe place.
· If lab testing conflicts with anti-virus software, run the anti-virus utility to ensure a clean machine, disable the software, then run the lab test. After the lab test, enable the anti-virus software. When the anti-virus software is disabled, do not run any applications that could transfer a virus, e.g., email or file sharing.
· New viruses are discovered almost every day. Periodically check the Lab Anti-Virus Policy and this Recommended Processes list for updates.
See also: Safe on the Internet
Send mail to webmaster for questions or
comments about this web site.